Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Re: Lost Jabref Files

Did you try Recuva? Also give a try to RecoverMyFiles even though
it's commercial. Be sure to download and run the programs from a
memory stick or other separate disk from the one where you are trying
to recover..

On Jul 27, 6:24 pm, chrisrobinson <chrisgrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I accidentally deleted 11 bibliographic files several days ago. They
> were created using the Refworks
> jabref database, which has the extension .bib. I have tried about 20
> freeware programs with no luck. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Re: Lotus wordpro

Try freeware like Recuva - http://www.piriform.com/recuvaor Free
Undelete - http://www.officerecovery.com/index.htm#freeundelete. A
commercial one is Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/.
On Jul 20, 12:01 pm, Owen <owen...@talktalk.net> wrote:
> I have used  lotus wordpro 1997 for many years as I oriiginally got it
> on a free disc in a magazine which as a penniless pensioner was a
> great find.  My needs are simple and it is perfectly adequate even
> though no doubt obsolescent now.
> I have used it vry happily . But a few weeks ago I seem to have
> pressed a key [or somethiing] and all of a sudden I have lost all my w/
> p documents. They have simply vanished - though strangely enough on
> the wordpro page all the folders are there in place - but they are
> universally empty.
> My guru took my machine away to see if he could find the missing stuff
> but to no avail; but admits that his stock of recovery softward is
> limited
> . I have some year old backup files but these do not give me what I
> was working on when it all came adrift.
> They must all be there somehow and I would value advice on how to
> search.
> Owen

Saturday, July 17, 2010

[Data Recovery Freeware] Awesome Instruction for Repairing Corrupt Open Office Write (Maybe Calc and Impress Too) Files

- Adapted from here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1532.
I tried these with a client's file and low and behold it worked!
1. Make a copy of your corrupt file.
2. Open Office (and Microsoft Office files these days too) are zipped
up by default. Change your file's extension from odt to zip. If you
are using Linux or an extension tolerant unzipper, just try to unzip
the corrupt odt file without changing the extension.
3. After unzipping you get bunch of files and directory's, find the
content.xml file and open it with your favorite text editor, say
Notepad if you use Windows.
4. Use "find" function to find out, if you have the XML tag
"<office:automatic-styles>" (somewhere at the beginning of document).
Remove the the parenthesis. Add several blank lines so you know where
it starts.
5. Find the ending tag XML tag "</office:automatic-
styles>" (somewhere, middle of document). Add the blank lines again.
If you have the two XML tags, delete them and all data between them.
Be sure, that you don't delete more or less!
6. Save content.xml (keep the original name and place!)
7. Rezip the extracted data and your hopefully fixed content.xml file
back to one ODT document.
8. Try to open repaired document...and if are you lucky, then OO is
able to open your document again.

Hasleo Data Recovery FreeV3.2 - Free as in Freeware - Permanently from Hasleo Software

https://www.hasleo.com/win-data-recovery/free-data-recovery.html "Hasleo Data Recovery FreeV3.2 100% Free Data Recovery Software...