Search for temporary, deleted or lost versions of your file with:
- Recuva is excellent freeware for recovering lost, deleted or temp versions of files.
- RecoverMyFiles is an excellent commercial program. Try the demo first.
- Excel Regenerator, as far I know this program works like the two above programs and is also commercial like RecoverMyFiles.
- PC Inspector File Repair may work like the three pieces of software above and is also freeware like Recuva. However it only works on doc, xls and ppt files not docx, xlsx or pptx.
- Right clicking on the file in Explorer (or My Computer), choosing "Properties", then the "Previous versions" tab if you have it and finally clicking on a found earlier version of the file and the "Restore" button. If you have Vista Home Basic or Premium, you probably won't have this choice on your right click menu unless if you are using it in a school or business and the IT department has turn on the feature at the server. Sometimes they even turn on Previous Version Recovery for their XP Pro machines although I'm not sure the two pieces of freeware that follow would work the same way as the previous versions are probably store on the server.
- Shadow Explorer - If you have Vista Home Basic or Premium the previous versions of the files might still be there as Restore Point snapshots on your hard drive and you can use this freeware to find out.
- Vista Previous Version File Recoverer is my freeware that does the same thing as Shadow Explorer but may work better for individual files.
- Repair Corrupted File Online - Use the coupon "S2SERVICES" without the quotes for a free recovery. Emil from Recoveronix is letting me use this code for free recovery for my customers until May 1, 2013.
- Recovery for Excel - Commercial software from Recoveronix again for recovery of corrupt files locally.
- ExcelFix - another piece of commercial software for recovery of corrupt files locally.
- Kernel Recovery for Excel is very effective sometimes.
- Excel Recovery Toolbox works well sometimes too.
- Corrupt XLSX Salvager is newly update freeware for xlsx recovery that occasionally works.
- Excel Recovery is more freeware for xls and xlsx. It brings into one place and allows you to easily implement most of Microsoft's recommended recovery methods.
- Corrupt Office Salvager even more freeware that works with xls and xlsx also updated but only occasionally works.
- Corrupt Office 2007/2010 Extractor, a fourth one that works with just xlsx files has an Advanced mode for the super technical.
- If you have Excel 2010, try looking at this article: http://www.makeuseof.
com/tag/recover-unsaved-ms- word-2010-document-seconds/# disqus_thread.