"If your computer crashes or locks up while you are working on a document in OpenOffice.org, your work may not be lost permanently if you have enabled the OpenOffice AutoRecovery feature. This feature periodically creates backups of open documents. If you do not see a prompt to recover your unsaved work when you restart your computer and launch OpenOffice, open the document recovery folder to find the file.
Recovering Unsaved Work
1. Launch an OpenOffice utility, such as OpenOffice Writer, from the OpenOffice.org folder on the Start menu.
2. Click the "Tools" menu at the top of the application window, and then click "Options."
3. Click the plus sign next to the OpenOffice.org heading in the left column, and then click "Paths."
4. Locate the folder path displayed next to Backups on the right side of the window. OpenOffice saves all document recovery information in this folder.
5. Open the Start menu, and then click "Computer." Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder you found in the previous step, such as C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\backup. Double-click the document to open it..."